Victoza 0. 6 mg/ml is a hypoglycemic agent, transparent or almost transparent, colorless solution for the subcutaneous injection from the Danish manufacturer Novo Nordisk for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. The pre-filled pen contains 18mg of the injectable solution. I ml of Victoza contains 6ml of liraglutide. It also may include excipients: sodium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, propylene glycol, phenol, sodium hydroxide / hydrochloric acid (for pH correction), water for injection.
Victoza is indicated for adults and children 10 years of age and above with type 2 diabetes with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar level and achieve glycemic control as: monotherapy; combination therapy with one or more oral hypoglycemic drugs (with metformin, sulfonylurea derivatives, or thiazolidinediones) in patients who have not achieved adequate glycemic control during previous therapy; combination therapy with insulin in patients who have not achieved adequate control during therapy with liraglutide and metformin.
In the case of heart disease, Victoza is also prescribed to reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events (including death due to cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction without fatal outcome, stroke without fatal outcome, fast heartbeat) in people with type 2 mellitus diabetes and diagnosed cardiovascular disease as an adjunct to standard treatment of cardiovascular diseases (based on the analysis of the time of the onset of the first major cardiovascular event).
Dosage and Rules of Administration of Pen Victoza
The method of application and dose of a particular drug depends on its form of release and other factors. The doctor determines the optimal dosage regimen. It is necessary to strictly observe the compliance of the used dose of a particular drug with the indications for use and the dosage regimen.
Victoza liraglutide injection should be performed subcutaneously 1 time of the day in the area of the abdomen, thigh, upper arm, or shoulder. It should not be administered intravenously or intramuscularly.
The starting dose is 0.6 mg Victoza per day. When using Victoza for at least one week, the dose should be increased from doses of 0.6 mg – 1.2 mg liraglutide. In order to achieve the best glycemic control in the patient and taking into account clinical efficacy, the dose can be increased to 1.8 mg after using it at a dose of 1.2 mg for at least one week. A daily dose of more than 1.8 mg is not recommended.
It is recommended to use Victoza in addition to existing metformin therapy or combination therapy with metformin and thiazolidinedione. Metformin and thiazolidinedione can be continued at the same dose.
The possible side effects may be the following:
- From the side of metabolism: often – low blood sugar hypoglycemia (especially when combined with sulfonylurea derivatives), anorexia, loss, or decreased appetite.
- From the nervous system: often – headache.
- From the digestive system: very often – nausea, diarrhea; often – vomiting, dyspepsia, pain in the upper abdomen, constipation, gastritis, flatulence, bloating, gastroesophageal reflux, belching.
- Infections: very common – upper respiratory tract infections.
- Allergic reactions: in some cases (0.05%) – angioedema at the injection site.
- Others: less than 1% – reactions from the medullary thyroid gland; 8.6% – the formation of antibodies to the drug components (did not cause a decrease in efficiency).
If the patient notices any serious side effects, or they do not disappear within a few days, he/she should stop using Victoza and may need to apply for medical help and consultation from their doctor.
This is the list of warnings and precautions to do not use Victoza:
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus;
- diabetic ketoacidosis;
- severe renal impairment;
- liver dysfunction;
- heart failure III and IV functional class according to NYHA classification;
- inflammatory bowel disease;
- gastric paresis;
- lactation period (breastfeeding);
- children and adolescents up to 18 years old;
- hypersensitivity to liraglutide.
Where to buy Victoza pen?
If you are looking to buy a Victoza pen or a wide range of other remedies to control blood sugar levels in adults and children with diabetes, Insulin.store is a reliable Canadian pharmaceutical company that delivers to the USA.
If this is your first time you buy from our store, you may visit the ‘How to order’ page to get acquainted with the rules of placement of an order. Otherwise, you may also contact our sales managers if you need a personal consultation, help with the order, or have any other questions. We are looking forward to hearing from you.